PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Police seize drone over Wimbledon Tennis area.
Old 28th Jun 2015, 11:12
Hangarshuffle

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Is it classed as an aviation threat? The police are running the show but if the attack will come from the sky, is it not an RAF responsibility to defend from? Its their level of expertise? They did alright in the past with this sort of thing. I just think there's an overlap of responsibility which generally means there will be a weakness to be exploited by others who wish our people harm.
Its a depressing subject I concede. But it does interest me, very much so after I observed two expert chaps flying one near a private stately castle grounds I sometimes frequent. Well controlled, powerful, could climb to a good height and hover still.. until you've seen a proper drone working...I for one had no idea how good they were.
I think in the future terrorists will use them with small anti personnel mines attached and surprise ambush specific high value targets, and my guess is some sort of disabler or jammer will have to be used to interfere with the control signal. And the easiest and best way to bring one down as a last resort will be with powerful automatic fire shotguns with the largest shot SSG/AAA size maybe?
And the RAF should do this based on intelligence received, be given the responsibility because they are the experts, not the Police (who have enough to do, and sometimes lapse when using weaponry -its not their job-I reject the present armed police Robocop look).
And if I'm thinking about this now then the others will have thought it through about 12 or 13 years before me. Just hope our side are up to speed that's all.