PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Sir Angus Houston Supports Government Policy
Old 28th Jun 2015, 04:10
swh

Eidolon

Received 24 Likes on 13 Posts
A flight to Newman is not in controlled airspace the whole way, so it is not "controlled all the way to the ground". Sir Angus said as much in his "In relation to lower classification airspace..." quote a few posts back.
Which is my whole point, no one expect those in industry know that the aircraft would not be in controlled airspace all the way. The comment was designed to mislead the general public. Joe Public walking onto an RPT aircraft at a capital city for a regional area reading that line will think they are in controlled airspace all the way. It is simply not true.

What do you think Joe Public will think the " lower classification airspace" would mean if they are presented with the letters A, B, C, D, E, F, G ? They have no idea of what "In relation to lower classification airspace..." means, is A better than B, is C better than D, is G better than H ? The comments mislead the public.

If you look back at my posts I have been critical also of Dick Smith with his claims of how much it costs to get ADSB installing in an aircraft ($60,000 for a G1000 C172). I dont believe that side of the debate has been honest with the public either. I have posted that time and time again on threads relating to that. My aircraft cost under $5000 to get ADSB installed, the main cost was sending the GPS back to Garmin for a WAAS upgrade. There are boxes now on the market which are transponder and WAAS GPS in one package that would fit a normal KT76 slot, for under $5000.

Its not that expensive, but expensive enough after installation when you do a cost benefit analysis. The costs savings and benefits for the private, charter, and smaller RPT operators has been well overstated. I get zero operational improvement by having ADSB installed, I see zero cost savings. The people gaining all of the savings with ADSB are the big airlines and ASA, an in general all the newer jets you see have no additional equipment needed, zero cost, all gain with flex routing.

What is wrong with calling people out on both sides of the debate for overstating their relative positions, and put it in terms of what it is really costing or savings to the general public, in terms the general public will understand.