PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Airline/Manufacturer differences
View Single Post
Old 27th Jun 2015, 22:48
FlyingStone

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I don't know of a single situation where a company SOP that differs from the manufacturer is justified. Has anyone got an example? And if it exists, why isnt it fed back to the manufacturer so that they can evaluate it and change it.
While I'm on a rant, why do OPC's even exist? What are they for? I get that theres a slightly different load of hurdles to get over and hoops to jump through but whats the point? Surely I'm supposed to operate in accordance with the SOPs on the LPC too? Why don't I just do an LPC every 6 months?
1. Sometimes you need an SOP change now, not in 2 years after manufacturer has done "extensive" risk/benefit analysis and in the end it turns out they don't think your change is neccessary, even though you have problems on daily basis.

2. Manufacturer SOPs take into account somewhat standard operational environment. Some airlines operate in quite "sterile" environment, while others in very hostile one - and the SOP should and usually does reflect that. If you ever fly in a war zone during night, I'm sure you wouldn't want to have your landing lights on below FL100, right? Or if you operate a 737 in a desert, I'm sure the last thing you want is a master caution just before V1 due to window overheat - because you turned on Window Heat 10 minute before departure as per manufacturer SOP, even though is 50°C outside.

3. Under EASA, unless specially approved for reduced training, you need to do two OPCs per year (OPC has validity of 6 months), one of which is normally combined with LPC.