PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - James Horner missing presumed dead in his Ex RAF Tucano
Old 27th Jun 2015, 19:15
Fox3WheresMyBanana

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I had this problem 20 years ago with the bang seats in the JP5A. The local FAA (Arizona) would have preferred the bang seats deactivated. I had to tell them that the Aircrew Manual's "Manual bailout may require considerable physical effort" had been explained on BFTS Groundschool as "You're gonna die".
Fortunately there was an ex-Brit in the office who could explain British understatement.
In the end, I refused to fly it without live bang seats, and permission to do so changed 7 times in 6 months - no, yes, no, yes, no, YES, NO! I got 5 flights in during the yes bits, then gave up.
The thinking at the time (with some evidence) was that non ex-mil pilots were banging out with the slightest excuse, leaving the jets to hit people's houses.
In general, the FAA were perfectly happy to let ex-mil pilots do what they like, but very nervous about civvies, and couldn't legally put this distinction in the permits. Thus with this JP5A permission was removed about the point the owner would be allowed to start flying it on his own.