PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - A new paint job and this Piper Navajo is up for hire and reward
Old 27th Jun 2015, 13:32
Centaurus

Received 14 Likes on 5 Posts
Remember having to remove cowls to belt the starter housing in order to loosen up the starter pinion gear solenoid for an engine start?
Now that brings back memories; but not of an Aztetc. Yours truly flew a Sea Fury at Nowra a long time ago. During engine start a sailor called a Pilot's Mate stands by the wing, hands clasped behind his back, near the starboard wheel.

I selected a cartridge and tried to start the engine (A Bristol Centaurus, would you believe?) Prop spins a few revs, lots of black smoke but doesn't catch. Pilot's Mate does a Tarzan act and springs first onto the wheel and then leaps on to the wing and produces a nasty looking rubber mallet from behind his back.

I was about to wind the canopy shut to protect myself, but before I could do so, the PM delivers a terrible blow with said mallet to a certain sweet spot at the back and top of the Centaurus. Seems there is a starter solenoid there which sometimes sticks.

The PM then leaps to the ground or deck or whatever, and with a thumbs up says "Try that, Sir". Flattered at being called "Sir" for the first time in my life when actually I was a sergeant NCO pilot, I selected another cartridge and tried again - this time successful.