PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - PAPI guidance below 300 ft
View Single Post
Old 27th Jun 2015, 12:38
Capn Bloggs

Received 76 Likes on 44 Posts
Originally Posted by GlenQuagmire
If you see PAPIs at 400 feet that don't agree, who cares!
I care. If I pop out off an NPA at 400ft 4 reds or whites, a go-around it is. You'd be an idiot to try to salvage a landing from and obviously unstable approach, in the true sense of the word. ILS...different story. See next:

I wouldn't change an approach path on breakout at 200 or 100 based on the PAPIs following a perfectly stable approach.
Hang on. The only approach you'd be breaking out at "200 or 100" would be an ILS. Continue to use the GS. Unless the MEHT matches the TCH, then the PAPI will be "off".

what do you do when you break out at 200 feet from an ILS and see three reds or three whites? Keep the stable approach going or fanny about with pitch and power to get 2 reds and 2 whites? PAPIs becoming observable late on a visual approach is the same. Do you divert if they are unsurviceable?
If you've done a hero visual approach and suddenly find you have 4 whites or reds above 200ft then continue for landing at your peril. The PAPIs are installed for a reason.

As for diverting, here, we are permitted to operate without slope guidance for only 7 days. And in that 7 days, you must be qualified for no-slope landings.