PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Sir Angus Houston Supports Government Policy
Old 27th Jun 2015, 03:46
Horatio Leafblower

Received 33 Likes on 15 Posts
For the illiterates

In response to Mr Smith's critique of safety in the system, Sir Angus said all passenger aircraft in controlled air space were "controlled every inch to the ground".
That is not true for so many airports around Australia.
Aircraft operating in controlled airspace are controlled through every inch of that airspace.

Nowhere does he say, or even infer, that aircraft operate through controlled airspace at all times.

So what if a Jet operates OCTA? If there was a legit safety concern, professional pilots would be lodging floods of SMS reports and if ignored by the company they would be taking it to the Union or the media.

I spent this morning at the kid's soccer games answering the concerns of other parents who have heard Dick's carry-on on through the media. They are left with the clear impression that all uncontrolled airports are unsafe; that pilots are uncontrolled cowboys and no more in control of the aircraft than the punters down the back; that operations at CTAFs/MTAFs/MBZs/WTF they are simply a chaotic free-for-all.

Yet again, Dick's histrionics and show-pony carry-on is simply making the general public think that ALL aviation is HUGELY unsafe.

Yet again, Dick is mounting his hobby horse and causing more collateral damage to the rest of us.

Let us remember that the majority of mid-air collisions in Australia have occurred at BK and YMMB, with a tower in operation.

Cue Hamilton, Murphie and Pike posting here about what a great Australian Dick is (I don't dispute it) what a great pilot he is (no opinion) and how I have tall poppy syndrome and/or a chip on my shoulder (perhaps).

Last edited by Horatio Leafblower; 27th Jun 2015 at 03:59.