PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Judge rules crash black box should be handed over to police
Old 26th Jun 2015, 05:13
No Fly Zone

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Agree: A Sad Day

In the most simple terms possible, the mission of AAIB is to identify causes, with the intent to improve safety and prevent repeats, not to establish liability. Despite all the qualifiers about not setting a precedent, they have done just that.
Of note: The purpose of conducting thorough investigations to improve safety is not unique to the AAIB or the UK in general, but is a generally established objective World Wide (or very nearly so). In the U.S., NTSB reports are public information available to all, including criminal prosecutors. However, carefully and specifically included in the law that established the NTSB is the rule saying that the report and other materials may NOT be used AS EVIDENCE, by either side in any legal proceeding, civil or criminal. Ever. I'm not an aviation lawyer, but as far as I know, that rule has never been violated. I must conclude that the UK's legal authorities have made a very serious error.

Last edited by No Fly Zone; 26th Jun 2015 at 05:17. Reason: Change word.