PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Forced Landings Without Power
View Single Post
Old 26th Jun 2015, 02:41
Tinstaafl

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Similarly to BPA, I tell my students 'Big, Open, Flat' for field selection. Bugger this multiple 'S' thing. I also want them to get carby heat on, pump on, tank changed while pitching to the glide attiitude to achieve Vg. Carby heat 1st because it's a fading resource, then fuel stuff. These all need to be done ASAP because it can take time to work and may just prevent a forced landing just after take-off.

Then it's look for a field & fly to a key point. Ideally something like 2500' at the upwind end, or if too low, 1500 abeam the aim point. Better high than low - there are plenty of ways to lose excess altitude. If just after take-off then something just over the nose and a bit left or right, depending on height.

After that it's just like doing a glide approach at your home runway. One of the main things I emphasise is to look for the aim point to move up or down on the windscreen to determine under- or over-shoot (something that was not made clear to me when I learnt to fly. My glide approaches/PFLs back then were pure luck. It wasn't until I did my instructor rating that I 'got' the technique).