PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - RAF Pilot Tour lengths, etc
View Single Post
Old 25th Jun 2015, 23:58
Tengah Type

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Who knows what will happen in the next 20 years. I have flown with guys who had served muliple heavy bomber ( Lancaster through to Victor- 1942 to 1970 ) tours and never been posted further than 50 miles from Marham, and were lucky to do a month a year on detachments. 101 Squadron of the VC10 force was on continuous operational detachments of between 25% and 100% of the Squadron strength between 1990 and 2012.( But we did also get some cracking USA airshows to attend ). SH probably worse from the time at home point of view.

I suppose the main difference from the family point of view is that in my early days most wives did not have careers, so could move with their "Lord and Master " as and when the Air Ministry/MOD decreed. Also resettlement
benefits were more generous allowing you to get on the property ladder on retirement.

Assuming this is a genuine post, I hope it has given you, and your wife,
some indication that nobody knows what the future will serve up, but you will probably have great fun, a lot of frustration, and a little grief.
I did 50+ years "in blue" as a regular and reserve and 90%+ was positive. Best of luck matey.