PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Serving in HM Forces harms post mil career chances.
Old 25th Jun 2015, 22:07
PapaDolmio

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
I found it very much the same as in the military, right place, right time, face fits. The important thing I found in interviews is to show you've moved on and you're looking for a new challenge. Paper quals count for something but experience and personal qualities count for more- in other words, will you fit in?
The main problem is that many civvy firms want someone to be productive effectively from day one, they don't want to spend money on training. It can be difficult to translate mil experience to civvy experience which is why taking a short term temporary job can help bridge that gap.
I can't say I've encountered much bias since leaving, a lot depends on how you carry yourself and how you deal with people. Also I don't think the press and charities help by always highlighting the problems, virtually everything you see is negative.
Finally, one tip for interviews- be very careful about Reserve Service, it can be suicide to mention you're thinking of joining the Reserves at interview, despite all the good words lots of companies see them as a burden and financial risk. If you're already in then it's up to them, if you're thinking of joining wait till you've got the job then see how the land lies.