PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Serving in HM Forces harms post mil career chances.
Old 25th Jun 2015, 19:48
spannermonkey

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I was 'fortunate', if that's what you call sending out lots of resumes and putting my details out there on job sites etc to have been headhunted by a company after I left the RAF.

They specifically targetted an ex mil type as they knew the value of such individuals. Since that first role I've enjoyed 3 others, two with the same company (effectively a promotion) and who I am currently with. Again they specifically targeted ex mil types. Its also interesting to note all these companies were in Canada and while they were looking for a 'local' ex mil, they had a high level of respect for the UK. Within these roles I've also been in the position to hire and fire people and will say the view of the general public towards their military is far higher than in the UK, generally very respectful. Look out for the youtube video of the Canadian soldier killed in Afghanistan and his repatriation home - it puts the UK public to shame when you see how the Canadians react to this persons final journey from landing back home in Canada to his eventual journeys end.

I think as one earlier post put it, the UK is so fixated and controlled by the media and the negative aspects it seems to thrive on that its no surprise the image of the military may very well be of a 'squaddie' who can only sit in the corner trying to bite his own ears due to combat stress. Then again, I have never gone to one of the great unwashed and uneducated and asked them for a job, as they seem to peak at 'yu wont frys wiv thah'

It really does depend on the industry you move to. If its one that has no association or links to some aspect of military life such as aviation, why are people shocked that they could end up with a boss who may be shallow, self absorbed, insecure and ineffective with no understanding of military life, training or the value on offer -ergo he's threatened by such types. Then again have we not all known or had a boss like that at some time in the military.

End of the day if you don't like your boss or your job or are finding it hard to get a job - do something about it, but for goodness sake don't whine or complain, there are enough people out there willing to do that already.