PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Defence Acquisition for the Twenty-first Century
Old 25th Jun 2015, 18:39
CoffmanStarter

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
A fair bit of fortitude is required to stick with the main paper (I've not read all of the supporting papers). For me there are a couple of immediate standout points of fact ... (1) We, as a Country, no longer spend/invest enough on Defence R&D and (2) The current model where the UK Defence strategy is 'owned' by the incumbent Government, and therefore subject to change/refinance every five years, is outmoded (the paper references the US Model as a possible approach).

I'm also interested in the commercial drivers that will need to operate to facilitate the proposed 'networking' of UK SME's to deliver an effective, responsive and robust solution as proposed ... this is not made clear in the paper and is a primary 'enabler'.

I'm still struggling to see how, for example, the proposed solution would meet the demand for a new Front Line aircraft type ...

It would have been good to have a 'Blueprint' example to take the reader through a couple of scenarios.

The above said, as Wander00 mentions, all this needs money ... and in the current climate ... unlikely to be made available.