PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - DFS selects remote tower technology
View Single Post
Old 25th Jun 2015, 17:56
hangten

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
This is an interesting topic and what interesting times lie ahead.

What are the movement rates for these Airports, are they 24/7, do they have radar etc?
I understand Dresden is the busiest of the three mentioned by DFS and last year had 30357 air traffic movements. Some other facts here, but it doesn't mention radar: Key data, traffic statistics - Dresden International Airport

The Swedes have already begun down this road: Sweden opens first remote control air tower - The Local

I think the point here about jobs is a really interesting one. If it is deemed possible to control more than one airport simultaneously then of course this will result in the amalgamation of positions. I can simultaneously control two runways but in the same environment, with the same constraints, rules etc. Is it a good idea when two airports can be so diverse? What about if they're relatively simple operations, as LadyAtco says with a movement or two an hour and one adjacent taxiway?

There is no doubt that cost is the driving force behind these changes but that doesn't necessarily mean less jobs. It's cheaper to employ 10 people on one site than 10 people on 10 sites (or even 2 sites). The big issue is: what is acceptable? Managers with budgets and ATCOs with safety accountability will have two different opinions here and it's important we stand up for ourselves. However, lets not be daft, if two people are employed to sit and control two movements an hour in two different locations do you really feel your job is justified?

The EU open market is not open enough yet! Lobby your MP!
And also your MEP.