PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Serving in HM Forces harms post mil career chances.
Old 25th Jun 2015, 14:12
Doobry Firkin

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I think it depends on where in the country you are and what sector your moving into! Some places will be easier than others...

In Aberdeen ex-military guys are looked upon well. Good work ethic, a can do attitude and good safety culture go far in Oil and Gas.
I work for a big US Oil and Gas Service company in Aberdeen aong with 3 other ex-RAF and a few ex-Navy and Army guys so the banter is always good. The management know they can just set a task and it will done, they know we have management skills and unlike most 'civvys' have done management training during our careers and generally won't try to hide things from them.

I did take a hit on wages when i joined but i was basically starting a new career and understood that, it took less than a year for me to be on more than i was when i left the RAF as the management realised what i was capable of. When i joined i was 1 rung up the ladder, now i'm in my own little job bracket given projects to deal with and teams of people to manage with little to no managerial interference.

I've had the recruiters and managers call me to ask about people who've applied for jobs as i might have known them from the RAF (and in one case they guy had sat on the desk next to me at Kinloss).