PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Serving in HM Forces harms post mil career chances.
Old 25th Jun 2015, 12:57
Wander00

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
In the 90s I was involved in resettlement and recruitment (remember "Opportunities" newspaper/magazine?) - one of the issues I covered in resettlement lectures as, in a time of recession, MOD was pushing "the best trained workforce in Britain" campaign ("Access to Excellence") was that the average employer/recruiter not only had no Service experience, neither did his/her parents or even grandparents. Public perception of the Armed Forces was "Dad's Army". "Get some in", "Ain't 'Alf Hot Mum" and "The Navy Lark"!
In 20 years it seems little has changed. On the other hand I know that some major management consultancy companies run "pool" systems to train ex Services people in consultancy skills, and find the product very good. Royal British Legion do fantastic "hearts and minds" stuff with employers, but since the majority of employment is with SMEs, I suspect that the resettlement system need to do more with prospective employers at this level rather than the FTSE "top 100".