PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Comms in the Gulf
View Single Post
Old 25th Jun 2015, 08:45
WherewasI

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
comms in the gulf

The question was raised about the requirement to state aircraft type on first contact. Around 5 years ago there were an increasing number of instances where incorrect aircraft types had been entered into the flight plan.
In the approach/arrival sector we rely on this information being correct as we use this information to create our approach sequence based on the wake turbulence separation. A number of airlines operating into Dubai specifically, use multiple aircraft types on the same routes ranging from E170 to B744.
One airline based 3 hours ESE of Dubai, arrived 99% of the time with a B738. One evening an A332 was substituted. No one caught it until he called me on arrival and I noticed the type on the strip was not the same type displayed on the radar.
What's the issue? Huge wake implications when I am trying to stuff another B738 3 miles up his exhaust pipe.
Where does the fault lay...? Short notice Airline Equipment change, Flight planning, AFTN, Assistants oversight, Controllers Familiarity bias, Pilot's expectations,... sometimes finger trouble, such as... A320 vrs A340. One digit and you 100 tonnes off in your weight calculations.

It is a minor inconvenience but could save a nasty wake encounter.