PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - RAF Pilot Tour lengths, etc
View Single Post
Old 25th Jun 2015, 08:41
Professor Plum

Received 35 Likes on 14 Posts
"I was once told by a SNCO (ground branch with a brevet) that he couldn't fly on his sortie tomorrow because his wife (a nurse) had just been put onto an extra night shift and he had to stay at home to look after the kids........."

Sorry, but what does the RAF expect?

SNCO in another "wife has job and also gets buggered around" shocker.

The thing is, with a large number of breveted SNCOs getting made redundant, pay freeze and paltry pay rises, pension being messed around with, on top of lots of ops, and the "flexibility" required being called in more and more, perhaps people are getting a bit fed up with their wives being second fiddle to what is at the end of the day just a job. Who is it to say that his job is more important than hers?!?!

The days of it being a way of livfe are gone now I'm afraid, and if the powers that be don't understand this, then all the experienced married guys will leave. Or they'll end up being the unfortunate divorced 30-something's living In the mess.

To the original poster: you have been given an opportunity most would give their left testicle for. Grab it man! Have an honest chat with her. If she's your wife, you need her support or it won't work. You need to give your pilot training 110% or you won't make it buddy. You can achieve your dreams with or without her. I guess it's up to you to decide which one of the two it'll be. Trust me, it's invaluable having a supportive wife. I'm lucky to have one. She has no career (partly due to my job), and understands.

If however, your missus is a girlfriend, rather than wife, I'd suggest that if she ain't happy, then ditch her! Sounds harsh, but you don't want to be looking up at the skies in 10 years time, wishing you were flying!