PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - RAF Chipmunks
Thread: RAF Chipmunks
View Single Post
Old 25th Jun 2015, 05:49
Dora-9

Received 41 Likes on 28 Posts
She was the quickest in the fleet at EFTS, but if all you have of her is the fuselage, I can understand why she isn't as quick now. The rigging is everything on the Chippy
Mumble, mutter, mumble. I went on an 800 nm trip in company with SSJ, and it became glaringly obvious something is amiss. At 2100 rpm (and we've already done the looking through the prop arc trick to confirm both tachos read the same) he indicates 5 knots more than me, and will slowly draw away until, with much gnashing of my teeth*, disappears out of view. After 2 hours he'll be 12 miles ahead, and gets a GPS GS 5/6 knots greater than mine.

*I should stress here that I have a psychological problem with being overtaken, as anyone who has driven with me on the motorway will attest.

Both engines are newly top overhauled and both props are at the coarse pitch limit - climbing at full throttle and 70 KIAS gives us the same (2150) rpm. But there's something funny with the rigging - I seem to need a small amount of left rudder and right aileron to fly S & L, the rudder deflection is apparent in the earlier formation photos.

A set of rigging boards are on the way from DHSL as we write...