PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - RAF Pilot Tour lengths, etc
View Single Post
Old 25th Jun 2015, 02:38
FJ2ME

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Sorry for the re-attack, but on reflection I decided to bring up another elephant in the room on top of all the good advice above. There is an undeniable fact that a guy on a front line squadron who has a, how shall we say, demanding, wife becomes a supervisory problem of some sort.

Either 1. he puts up with all the moaning at home and does his bit at work, but is lacking in support at home and starts to crumble internally under the stress of it all. Or 2, he caves in to the moaning, even just a little bit, and becomes one of those guys that always has a reason that he cannot do things and, subconsciously or otherwise, tries to arrange his work life for the minimum home disruption. This just creates more work and burden for his colleagues and breeds resentment in the section.

Either way, you don't want to be that person.

None of us are really saying that you need to ditch her, but its also only fair to her that you fully explain what is likely to happen so she can make her own choice. It is much better to have had this conversation before and reasoned it out, than say 1930 on a saturday night pre-show in the west end, when you get a phone call to say your leave's been cancelled and you need to be in the squadron at 0800 the next morning ready to deploy. Believe me, to the unwarned, and even to the fully warned, that scenario rarely goes down well....

(Courtney, sorry for the F3 banter, too easy. But anyway it was merely presented as a spectrum analysis vs. the ridiculous deployment tempo of the Puma force-of which I have nothing to do with BTW. Don't be so precious. We all work hard I'm sure)