PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Merged: The trials and tribulation of Bankstown Airport
Old 24th Jun 2015, 23:54
Dick Smith

Received 74 Likes on 29 Posts
BANKSTOWN AIRPORT’S CEO 100% CORRECT

In the June issue of AVIATOR Magazine, the CEO of Bankstown Airport, Colin Grove, has been quoted as follows:

According to Grove, the biggest challenge he faces is what he describes as the decline in GA. “We are very aware that many of the traditional business models that drive the industry are no longer viable and some businesses are definitely struggling. If the industry is to remain financially viable then Governments will need to seriously address the concerns raised by the various industry peak bodies such as AOPA and the RAAA and there will need to be a complete mindset change in how regulations are imposed and a transparent assessment of the impact they have on the aviation industry.”
Never have truer words been spoken!

Of course, there are many who will put some of the blame on the owners of Bankstown Airport but that blame has to go back to John Anderson and the people in the Department of Transport at that time for the way they sold-off Bankstown Airport.

What’s more to the point is that if CASA went ahead with reforming the rules so they were as efficient as those in other leading aviation countries, such as the USA and Canada, we would not have some of the problems at Bankstown.

Last time I walked around Bankstown Airport many of the hangar doors were chained and the hangars themselves were being used just to store junk inside and I am told by everyone that it’s getting worse.

It’s interesting that Warren Truss makes no statements about the dire straits the industry is in and in an address by CASA Director of Aviation Safety, Mark Skidmore, at the AOPA gathering at Bankstown Airport last Saturday (20 June), once again there was no mention of removing every unnecessary cost.

A good start would be for Warren Truss to put on an advisor who clearly understands the dismal situation our general aviation industry is in. Over the years I have recommended some capable people for the role of Aviation Advisor but not one has ever been interviewed.

I see no changes at all on the horizon with Mr Truss as Minister and Mr Mrdak as Head of the Department. Does anyone have a more positive view?