PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Comms in the Gulf
View Single Post
Old 24th Jun 2015, 23:42
Emma Royds

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
We are in a situation at present where it feels like it's going to take an incident for EK to sit up and address the issue of call sign confusion. None of us want to see that.

As nolimitholdem has said, the company is not choosing to tackle this issue and for reasons that I simply cannot fathom either. I appreciate that there can be issues with overflight clearances with call signs that are not the same as the flight number but these are not insurmountable. There is one European operator that uses an alpha numeric call sign on their daily outbound flight to DXB. Therefore EK has no excuse for not at least tackling the call sign confusion amongst the late evening European arrivals, that all arrive at the DESDI hold at a similar time.

Call sign confusion will not improve unless we either have an incident involving lots of paperwork or pressure to act is applied from a third party. Internal ASRs simply get dismissed on the fact that since no specific safety event (loss of separation or an RA etc) took place, then there is no problem to rectify.

I know that ATCOs in the Gulf are being stretched and putting pen to paper at the end of a shift is perhaps not something that will be a high priority, unless an incident actually took place. A few minutes of form filling might bring us a step closer to seeing a solution, to this ever growing problem. The internal mechanisms within EK are ineffective at resolving this problem at present and some external pressure may help.