PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Helicopter crash off the coast of Newfoundland - 18 aboard, March 2009
Old 24th Jun 2015, 22:59
zalt

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
SAR RC sounds like your answer to my question is either "possibly" or "probably". Unless you think someone believed the oil loss marketing hype and pressed on for the Cape...

Another conclusion from what you write is that survivability features mitigate design flaws (among other things) and if a manufacturer runs out of options and has to say "Land Immediately" in the RFM they shouldn't begrudge investing in them! If they do perhaps it's a sign they aren't going to make much of an effort either

I can understand if Sikorsky are sensitive on survivability. Flack have a C$200k research contract to look at the S-92 exit windows and see if they can actually be opened in a real scenario. The CAA / UK oil company cabin size project has made the S-76 an 8 seater (and any one here who is Xtra Broad shouldn't argue with that considering there have been a trio of S-76 ditchings in recent years), its floatation performance is poor and the 76D isn't likely to survive until next HeliExpo under new owners. Plus I believe the European survivability rule making proposal to change Part 29 hits the streets in a few weeks.