PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - ATC help WRT starting all engines taxiing.
Old 24th Jun 2015, 12:57
tom775257

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
ATC help WRT starting all engines taxiing.

Some background to what I am asking for non-pilots, in case you don't know: We fly around with often fairly limited amounts of fuel, especially if the weather enroute and destination looks good. Waiting to take off with engines running can rapidly burn through our planned taxi fuel, especially at airports we don't expect to wait at.

We can mitigate this to some extent by single engine taxiing. This is good for the fuel on board, good the for environment and good for the airline. The engines have a minimum warm up time, on one type of engine I fly this is 5 minutes. Without adequate information I have to often be cautious about starting the second engine early to make sure we are ready to go when we can. If we had an approximate idea either how many aircraft are at the hold, or how long we could expect before take off at push back it would allow better decision making for us whether to single engine taxi and if we do, when to start the second engine.

Is there anyway (referring to UK airports here realistically) that you could pass some information to pilots eg. 'Cleared push and start to face west, 4 ahead' or something, it would really help, plus could bring some environmental impact bragging rights to the airport I would guess.