PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - RAF Pilot Tour lengths, etc
View Single Post
Old 24th Jun 2015, 09:50
Biggus

Received 72 Likes on 33 Posts
It doesn't happen often, indeed it has probably never happened to most in the RAF, but....

One Saturday I was at home with the family, it was about 10pm, we were starting to think about turning in for the night. I was on no form of standby whatsoever, so was quite at liberty to have consumed alcohol, although as it happens I hadn't. I got a phone call from the duty flight commander asking if I was fit to fly, now. I said yes. He said get into work asap, and pack enough kit for a month. About 15 minutes later I left my wife and family, I was back 3 weeks later.

Yes, as I said that sort of situation is unusual/rare, but it can happen, and it's part of what life in a blue suit is all about. How would you wife cope with that situation? The RAF invests considerable amount of time, energy and resources in you, it can call in that investment at any time in your career with little or no prior warning.

It sounds as though you and your wife need to have a good talk about your joint future, and whether the RAF is really a suitable career for you, her, both of you together as a couple, any children you may have. Good luck....