PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Drones in Australia (UAV/UAS)
View Single Post
Old 24th Jun 2015, 09:42
Ex FSO GRIFFO

Received 45 Likes on 20 Posts
And. as mentioned by 'AMROBA', - note not 'endorsed' by them, but 'for info only'....as in a curiosity news item....

"Drones used in maintenance!!!!"

“EASYJET has begun using automated drones to carry out safety inspections on its aircraft, the airline says.

At an event at Milan's Malpensa airport, the Britain-based budget airline said a test inspection on an aircraft had been completed by one of the unmanned vehicles, and it planned to bring drones into service across its engineering bases in Europe over the coming year.

The airline said the implementation of the technology will help reduce the number of hours an aircraft is out of service because of inspections – which are routinely done after events such as lightning strikes.

Ian Davies, EasyJet's head of engineering, said: "The use of these emerging technologies frees up our engineering and digital teams to enable them to undertake more skilled tasks, keeping our costs down, which in turn keeps our fares low, helps minimise delays and ensures that we maintain our industry-leading punctuality for our passengers.”

Now, whilst I can imagine a drone picture giving an 'overall picture' of the top of a tailplane / rudder hinge assy, I just cannot imagine that I would be 'happy' with such an 'inspection' - whether this be deemed to be a 'pre flight' insp or not.....

Cheers