PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - A10's to be sold on?
View Single Post
Old 24th Jun 2015, 02:54
Danny42C

Topgas,

I would like to say a belated "Thank you" for your kind remarks on the "A-10s to be sold on" Thread (your #47 of 28th May).

One of our attacks on the Jap L.o.C. at Imphal was unique, as it was the only one in which individual success could be attributed. Let me explain:

The VV tactical formation was a box-of-six, this went into echelon starboard 30 secs before the dive, then "follow-my-leader" in some 5 sec intervals, dive and bomb. In solid jungle, the leader bombed a spot marked with a mortar smoke-bomb by the army, but in this instance he was visually targeting a narrow hill road traversing a steep hillside, which the Japs were using to resupply. But our forward troops were near enough to observe results through binoculars, though they did not need to mark any particular spot on the road - any big hole would do.

Normally, the leader's bombs throw up such a cloud of dust and smoke that No.2 simply bombs the centre of the cloud, and all the others have to do the same, but each time the cloud gets bigger and the bombing less accurate. But here the angle of the slope was such that a small lateral error (for obviously we bombed along the line of the road) would be magnified by the slope so that the individual bomb flashes could be "marked". 1 to 5 missed the single-track road, some narrowly above (which would at least bring down a few tons of earth, but which can be quickly cleared), or harmlessly below.

No.6 (modesty forbids), more by good luck than good judgment) put his two 500s and one of his two 250s into the road, making a hole which would need weeks to repair (and the Japs did not have weeks). The Army passed their warm congratulations back to 110 Sqdn at Khumbirgram.

You can't lose 'em all !

Danny42C