PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Who controls what is on your Mac?
View Single Post
Old 23rd Jun 2015, 18:41
Carrier

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Google eavesdropping tool installed on computers without permission | Technology | The Guardian

Do those posters above who use the word “paranoid” believe that it applies to the technical reporters at the BBC, The Guardian and Reuters, along with those individuals and organisations they have named as being concerned?

Do you really know more than that lot? I believe that their concerns, which I have just reiterated, are valid.

Why do you think those individuals and organisations who raised these concerns bothered to contact the media and the media in turn published their concerns?

What is so difficult to understand about this:
“It is no good advising users to turn off iCloud, keep it signed out, etc. The problem is that with all user-selectable options turned to “off” or ”do not report” your information continues to be sent elsewhere. Your computer is not under your control.” and
“However Security & Privacy indicates Maps still seems to be operating and doing so outside of my control. I have not use Maps for many months let alone within the last 24 hours so it must be spyware operating on some other party’s behalf.”

I agree Maps needs to know my location if I want it to navigate from where I am to some destination, ie using it instead of a stand-alone GPS, but I would not be using a desktop iMac for that purpose. Maps should not be trying to find my location if I have not opened the app! Even then it should not do so if I use it just like a paper atlas or map book.

The default in all software, OS and Apps, should always be to have spyware actions “inactive” unless deliberately turned on by the user.

“The Guardian article advises that Apple has been doing this since well before Yosemite was released. The support document Apple published on the subject was dated 16 December 2013 but the Guardian advises the automatic-saving function might go back even further.” How much further back?

Again, what is the last version of OSX that does not incorporate anything to do with iCloud or other versions of online storage?