PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Possible new humanitarian/rescue operation coming up.
Old 23rd Jun 2015, 18:21
Hangarshuffle

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Suprising role change.

HMS Enterprise replaced HMS Bulwark and the rescue mission appears no longer thus.
UK 'pulling back' from migrant rescue with HMS Enterprise deployment | World news | The Guardian

Now a more aggressive military mission to "go after the human smugglers and traffickers" according to the Grad, which to be fair has followed the story closely. "Identify, capture and dispose of " the baddies boats.
Personally, I would have picked a different vessel to do that task that the E.

If they are taking on presumably armed gangs, who are really coining it, and splitting the villains from their little earner then the RN may be in for a real shooting match, exchanges of gunfire - I would not be surprised. So why send a survey ship?
I would have thought another type would have really been more appropriate. Type 45 is very high tech but has biggish flight deck and hangar, two fast boats either side, room for a suitable RM detachment>? Weapons even..people have said for a long time the RN needs more appropriate vessels for this sort of operation.
The air asset remains, a Merlin. Does Enterprise have a hangar and facilities for that?
I'm confused by it all, the drift, the actual plan here. I understand the political about turn - the RNs role had become embarrassing.
GCHQ and the UKs National Crime Agency are also involved with a cell established in Italy to target the bad uns.
But anyway, whatever it is good luck with this RN.