PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Herc low level over Abingdon on three engines...
Old 23rd Jun 2015, 11:56
BEagle

Received 271 Likes on 110 Posts
Before it was squaddified, it would be quite common for the Tower Controller at RAF Abingdon to be given a "VC10 wide" alert from the Approach Controller - usually during OCU trips when a new student pilot was finding things a bit difficult.

No requirement to stay inside the CTR though.

3 of us were taking turns on an OCU trip I flew on as a student back in 1984. The first in the seat was the student captain, with an OCU QFI in the other seat. My chum and I were sitting in the back at the time; the first indication that the 2-e failure was going to be 'interesting' was the swing the student captain induced at the V1 cut for the first engine. "This'll be worth watching!" we said to each other, then went up and watched the subsequent stumbling about when the second failure was introduced. Student captain was hideously 'behind the aircraft' and we went so wide during the 2-e TAC/ILS that we eventually flew over RAF Abingdon from the south! Then the student captain was so slow to follow the flight director that he lost the localiser, but followed what he thought was the correct indication and we headed off towards Little Rissington. At about this point the QFI decided that we'd had a 'political bird strike', so we landed..... I'll be the debrief was fun...

Last edited by BEagle; 23rd Jun 2015 at 12:08.