PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - B206 Drivers, read and learn...
View Single Post
Old 22nd Jun 2015, 16:16
RVDT

Location: After all, what’s more important than proving to someone on the internet that they’re wrong? - Manson
Received 56 Likes on 37 Posts
Lets examine a few things here -

FWIW I have maintained A250 models since about 1978.

In simple terms ask yourself why the engine gets cooked in the first place.

The biggest problem is the detent. Shutting off the fuel is the biggy.

The procedure I quoted is followed by Bell as alluded to and removes all the myth and BS and also the reasons it gets cooked.

Engage starter and remove detent - keep it that way until start is successful or abort is successful.

Move throttle to light off point, watch what happens to TEMP. This will be the coolest start you will get regardless of model.

Possibly universal across all 250 powered helicopters.

All you have to do is change the fuel flow as appropriate. In Bendix 18's, 20's and 20B's it is ON or OFF. On 30's you can modulate the flow and god forbid if there are any CECO equipped engines or 28's (boat anchors) still left.

Flew a L1 which had a CECO fuel control and set up for modulation
L1 would never have had a CECO as it is/was fitted with a 28 engine.

Sure isn't like any B-3/B-1 I've flown
I assume you were in the AUS MIL if you flew a B-1? Kiowa? CECO?

Most pilots go through life experiencing mostly benign starts and then one day.................................

Engineers are the ones that see the unsuccessful start results and have come up with procedures to avoid it.

They also have to troubleshoot the problems.

If you roll past the detent and let it engage you better be quicker than most to catch a "wet" start.

In PAAA's case this what is likely to have happened. Also be interesting to see the state of the burner drain check valve.

How many of you know how to check your IDLE speed setting and can do a slam decel check to see that your engine will not do a LEAN flame out?

I have seen a H500 spit 8 foot flames out the tailpipe on a start due to an internal OIL leak - go figure.