PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Judge rules crash black box should be handed over to police
Old 22nd Jun 2015, 13:05
HeliComparator

Received 39 Likes on 21 Posts
Originally Posted by Mitchaa
Forget that you are all pilots, forget that you know anything at all about aviation. You are now a teacher, a fireman or a plumber.

Your son, daughter, mother or father has died in a helicopter crash that was mechanically sound before it took off, you want answers, 2 years on, you have snippets of information but nothing conclusive.

The answers are there but yet due to a no blame culture within the aviation industry, the answers are under lock and key and you can just keep on wondering what exactly happened for the rest of your lives. As long as the AAIB have done their bit and produced a report, the case is closed

Do you think there is public interest in getting answers or do you think there is public interest in maintaining a no blame culture within the aviation sector? If you ask 100 random strangers whether the CVFDR should be analysed by a prosecution team in the event of fatalities, what do you think the outcome would be? Do you think Joe public give a monkeys about what culture we all adopt in aviation?

In other words, pilots are all in a little bubble. We all make mistakes, no doubts about it, but 4 people lost their lives in a serviceable helicopter.

A driver lost control of his bin lorry in Glasgow just before Christmas killing 6 people and injuring 10 others, there were no criminal charges brought, there was obviously a medical condition that incapacitated him moments before the incident, these things happen and will continue to happen.

What happened in this helicopter crash though? Two highly trained pilots flying a serviceable helicopter into the water, how, why? AAIB haven't been much use over the last 2 years so what's the alternative? Remember you've lost your son, daughter, mother or father in this incident, you're not a pilot, you know nothing about aviation, you just want answers and closure.

Try seeing it from another point of view outwith the no blame culture bubble that you're all in

But the situation you are describing doesn't exist. It is not as if there will be no investigation and no knowledge of what happened. A proper investigation is being carried out by the AAIB and once that is published, the relatives etc will know what happened and hopefully why. If the report indicates that the pilots were grossly negligent ie not paying proper attention or recklessly and intentionally not following procedure then I would expect there to be some sort of criminal prosecution.

Of course whilst such a prosecution might satisfy some of the relatives' desire for revenge , it won't bring their loved ones back and I suspect won't actually make them feel any better.

However we have not got to the stage of the AAIB report yet, and until that is forthcoming the best action is none. I agree that the delay is frustrating, especially so for the relatives and survivors, and wish these reports could be compiled quicker, but I guess it is at least to some extent a matter of resources. I'm sure it isn't deliberate delaying tactics by AAIB.

By the way, we aren't in a "no blame culture" these days, it's a "just culture"