PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Who wants to fly at SAA?
View Single Post
Old 20th Jun 2003, 04:46
PAXboy
Paxing All Over The World

Received 62 Likes on 50 Posts
I think that B Sousa is right. We must recall that we are not just talking about 50 years of the Nats but the 300 odd years before that. I think that 25 years is the minimum before the pendulum will start to slow down (taken from '94).

Attitudes have to be bred out and new ones bred in - to all folks. During my last trip south, a relative of mine commented that he used to speak the wrong language (English, not Afrikaans) now his skin is the wrong colour. True but it is the way it is and Affirmative Action is set to continue for a whole score of reasons.

Will South Africa decline in the way that AfricanSkies puts forward? Personnally, I cannot see how it could do anything else. This is Africa and that is what Africa does to itself. Perhaps in another 100 years it will be different but the example of the last 100 years says it will not.

I used to think that the country could be the powerhouse of Africa that we all hoped when '94 happened. Now - I don't think so. For those of us that have lived through the change it is particularly painful but in another 25/50 years? They will say that it has always been 'this' way.