PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - B206 Drivers, read and learn...
View Single Post
Old 21st Jun 2015, 21:15
Nubian

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts
Forefinger right hand - idle release
Middle finger right hand - Start button
Left hand - turn throttle
The way I was taught by a former Bell test pilot, when I started on the 206.
However, flying an old PHI 206, the starter button was relocated onto the cyclic and therefore the left thumb would have to do the idle-release.

Turn throttle to adjust noise and temperature as required. When all good release.
Will only work on a modulated start (CECO only), which I have never had in a 206 B, as they have all been fitted with the Bendix fuel-control, and therefore automatic start. Flew a L1 which had a CECO fuel control and set up for modulation, and then your statement is correct.

Rolls Royce 250-C20 Operation & Maintenance Manual (72-00-00 pg. 62)

The 250–C20 Series engines each have two qualified control systems; they are:

(1) CECO.
The MC–40 (250–C20, –C20B, –C20J) control system manufactured by the Chandler Evans Control Systems Division of Coltec Industries.

(2) Bendix.
The DP–N1 (250–C20) or DP–N2 (250–C20, –C20B, –C20F, –C20J), (control)/AL–AA1 (governor) control system manufactured by the Bendix Engine Controls Division of Allied Signal.

C. Starting Modes.
Starting procedures are given for an automatic start mode (CECO or Bendix system) and for a modulated start mode (CECO system only).

Automatic Start Mode:
The throttle is advanced directly to the IDLE detent when desired N1 cranking speed is reached.

Modulated Start Mode:
The throttle is advanced toward the IDLE detent in increments as required to increase TOT and N1 speed at a steady rate that remains within specified limits.
Now, the chance to cook the engine is also greatest with the Bendix if you have a halfdodgy battery or having to start in tailwind etc.