PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - G-BNLL report published
View Single Post
Old 21st Jun 2015, 20:06
JammedStab

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by gtseraf
from a practical perspective, sometimes having the info for an aerodrome printed on many pages doesn't help. here mention is made of a warning note on pg 6 about this.

Let's be realistic, time constraints, workload issues and cockpit ergonomics, especially older airliners, are not conducive to a making a comprehensive briefing covering reams and reams of paperwork.
Correct, but it is not really a valid excuse as we have to just deal with the way things are. In order to mitigate this, I have notes for every airport I fly to commercially. They are on my laptop and I have them printed out on paper in a small pile in my room. When I am going somewhere, the paper copy gets brought with me for quick reference. It is just a single page of notes divided up into arrival, arrival taxi, departure taxi, and departure and whatever other random notes I might feel is important. Some airports have only a few notes, others are quite extensive.

Much of the information has come from pre-reading the Jeppesens and the many briefing pages, in advance of going into the airport the first time. That way, I don't have to worry about sorting through reams of Jeppesen pages on the ground while in a rush or in flight, especially a short flight. I can just look at my cheat sheet for quick reference. It gets updated on occasion as required with computer updated and a new page printout that goes into the pile.

Bottom line, I am just not nearly as sharp as some of those smart guys who really seem to know their stuff, so I write it down and review.

It can have out of date info and it is my responsibility to check and see if the Jepp pages have been updated since I was last at an airport.

Last edited by JammedStab; 21st Jun 2015 at 20:44.