PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - PAPI guidance below 300 ft
View Single Post
Old 21st Jun 2015, 15:58
RAT 5

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I also find that pilots who pay too much attention to VSI displays, fairy lights and attitude displays at low level do not pay enough attention to what their backside is telling them. You correct for x-winds by instinct and feel, often making the correction before the effect has taken effect: if you know what I mean. The same is true for the vertical bumps & humps that mother nature puts in our paths.
Glad the hear someone talk of 'house thermals'. I briefed an arrival, with ILS, on a hot hot day into a dusty area, reasonable headwind, with slightly rising ground inside the OM. I suggested the PF take gear a little earlier to avoid the a/c accelerating as he pushed down to maintain the glide slope with the balloting a/c. The ah ha moment was a joy as he told the story of exactly this happening the week before when taking gear at the usual close in point aiming for a 500 stable point. The bucking bronco was a handful. Much cursing & swearing. It was only JUST achieved with frisky neck hairs.
The house thermals this week over Montmin & Annecy were a joy: if you know what I mean.