PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Circuit Procedures
View Single Post
Old 21st Jun 2015, 09:42
Pace

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cessna 172 Landing. Warton

Airfield Ground Support Unit (AGSU) was carrying out daily surface inspection during the weekend period whilst the airfield was closed. Whilst at the 25 threshold, they spotted a light aircraft approaching to land. They cleared the runway area ASAP, whereupon the aircraft landed. The RFFS were conducting a crash gate inspection at the time, advised the RFFS watch room what had happened and approached the aircraft, along with the AGSU airfield inspection team. By hand signals, the RFFS instructed the pilot to shut down. It transpired that the aircraft, flown by a student pilot, was en-route and had been cleared to land but had misidentified Warton for Blackpool. After noting details, and at his discretion, the pilot was advised to depart for his destination.
Pull What

Landing at the wrong airfield is not only the domain of a low time student a Ryan Air 737 landed on a disused military airfield next to London Derry. I am sure that if the OH was so good it would be adopted world wide which it isn't.
It is a relic from the past and the days of non radio aircraft and minimalistic navigation aids.
Having different circuits heights for different aircraft is trying to modify the OH into something it is not. Having different OH join heights again is trying to modify to fit but both involve reduced vertical separation and hence an increase in collision risk.
i appreciate your world is teaching and the low time student and flying a circuit covers many handling and configuration changes so an excellent training procedure for novice pilots. Many instructors want to bang in as many touch and goes as possible and put 3 or 4 in the circuit and it can be hard to get in.

maybe from my perspective flying PAX firstly in light twins now jets your goal is to make the flight as smooth as possible with as few 90 degree turns as possible

i could never get my head around being setup on a long final and being to told to join overhead making up to 6 extra turns just to get almost back to where i already was. it seemed costly in extra time. an uncomfortable procedure for the PAX. We have evolved a lot since the days of non radio aircraft and nav equipment mainly due to the accuracy of GPS which can give good visual displays and even OBS magenta lines onto the active runway with accurate distances.

I see the OH as an important procedure but not the STANDARD important when conditions allow with correct cloud bases and VFR vertical separations from those clouds. Scud running in is a no no but happens all the time condoned by ATC or FIS. I have heard aircraft being told to join over head where the cloubase precluded such a procedure and feel that the procedure is abused by both pilots and ATC FIS who usually do not have accurate cloud base deterring equipment.

I also have to say I do not like modified OH joins due to airspace or other restrictions. This causes confusion from one airfield to another and confusion means one thing collision risk! OCAS 7 out of 10 midairs are in or around the airfield

Pace

Last edited by Pace; 21st Jun 2015 at 09:59.