PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - PPL airfield choice question
View Single Post
Old 21st Jun 2015, 08:41
Whirlybird

The Original Whirly

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I learned at Welshpool - shortish runway, little traffic, A/G radio. Advantages - I learned to think for myself and make my own decisions, got good at finding small airfields, learned to land on shortish runways. Disadvantages - I was scared of traffic, also of ATC. But I flew to other places later on, and got over it.

A friend of mine learned at about the same time at Liverpool. He was happy mixing it with the big boys and dealing with ATC. But he didn't even want to fly to Welshpool, definitely not land there, and when he tried, he couldn't find the airfield! I daresay he learned about small airfields later on too.

You learn different things at different airfields; it's horses for courses. You'll go to other types of airfields during the PPL course, and you can do more of that when you get your PPL - taking a more experienced pilot if you feel you need advice and moral support. As others have said, this is not really a major issue. Pick the school you like best, and particularly an instructor you feel you can get on with. That can make a lot of difference.

But while you're considering airfields in that area, why not think of Tatenhill - lovely place.