PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - PAPI guidance below 300 ft
View Single Post
Old 21st Jun 2015, 07:54
Wingswinger

Location: Hampshire physically; Perthshire and Pembrokeshire mentally.
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I agree. My company's guidance and the one we trainers push is ignore PAPI and/or ILS G/S below 200ft. The landing is a visual manoeuvre based on runway aspect. Besides, at major airports frequented by heavies the PAPI are set for the greater eye-height so in a 737/320 you will see 3 reds anyway below 300ft when on the correct flight path to the TDZ aiming point. Furthermore chasing the fairy lights below 200ft risks de-stabilising the approach and increases the chance of a firm arrival or a long landing beyond the TDZ. The latter is undesirable on a short runway with obvious risks. Piratepete talks of maintaining v/s of 700ft/min. That is incidental and we certainly do not tell trainees to chase the v/s. Just look at the TDZ aiming point, keep it 1/3rd of the way up the windscreen, be at the right attitude and speed and you will be on a 3 degree slope. In my aircraft (320 series) when the FDs are deselected the FPV serves as an accurate flight path indicator and it's use is strongly pushed. As far as the ILS G/S is concerned, if it's not a CAT3 installation with the LVO protections in place you should not be referring to it below CAT1 DA.

Last edited by Wingswinger; 21st Jun 2015 at 08:05.