PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - PAPI guidance below 300 ft
View Single Post
Old 21st Jun 2015, 07:36
RAT 5

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
When I did base training on B732 it was a company or UKCAA requirement to achieve an acceptable approach and landing with VASI off. The technique was similar to that taught at flying school. Now there's a coincidence????
Later I flew the line and indeed there were some minor Greek islands where there were no lights, and even if there were VASI's the sun obliterated them anyway.
Later I flew for an operator that forbid approaches with no glide slope guidance. This became a problem to an airport with an NPA and PAPI's on maintenance. Then it became a captain's day only landing with full VNAV FMC guidance. It was still the case night landings with no glide slope guidance we're forbidden.
If the company considers its pilots to be so incompetent and incapable I wonder what other skills are lacking.
How can this most basic of manoeuvres be considered so difficult? All this talk of PAPI's below 300' etc. You shouldn't need the things below 500' on a visual approach if you're capable. OK if you pop out from an NPA at 600' it is comforting to have PAPI's; even more if they are 2W2R. I get students wanting to G/A with 3 reds at 200'. Guess what; as you go around they become 2W2R for a split second, but then it's too late.