PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - G-BNLL report published
View Single Post
Old 21st Jun 2015, 01:55
JammedStab

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I am not saying that it would have ended differently with me there, but one has to admit that it doesn't look to good to have written off a 747 due to a couple of burned out taxiway lights and a sign not lit. This is in Africa.

First 45 degree turn to the left. There were further green lights on that taxiway and a yellow line. What about the blue lights.

Apparently there was a briefing page 10-P6 with a caution about this area being confusing that was not read. That doesn't help.

Frequently there tends to be a hint that something is going wrong prior to the actual damage happening. It was noted that the taxiway was narrower than expected all of a sudden and a nearby building that looked too close. You have to do something at that point. it just shows how you really do have to be ready as PNF to jump on the brakes even at a major airport.

After this accident and reading about others, I like to look at the taxi chart for the briefing and mention if the taxiway goes beyond the end of the runway or similar and brief it.

An airport moving map(AMM) installation would have given the crew the tools to overcome any situational awareness issues. But that involves money and a commitment to spending money to prevent incidents like this. An example of an accident that likely would have been avoided if this company had that commitment.

Last edited by JammedStab; 21st Jun 2015 at 09:19.