PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Global Aviation Magazine : 60 Years of the Hercules
Old 20th Jun 2015, 18:50
smujsmith

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Xercules,

What a cracking post, and perhaps explains previous querulous mention of why metricise! Whilst most can converse in shillings and pence, as well as dollars and cents, I well remember some of the consequences of applying EU measures to UK aircraft engineering. ISTR a young Airframe mechanic at Cottesmore, being detailed to check, and top up the nose wheel tyre pressure on an MRCA aircraft. His belief that he was serving in the "British" Royal Air Force didn't help him as he took the newly labelled tyre inflation kit out to the aircraft. The Tech manual called for a tyre pressure in PSI, the inflation kit had a gauge, newly changed to show Bars. You all know what's coming, the nose wheel blew, and a near disaster was only just averted. 55 bars is a lot of PSIs. As I said in an earlier post, I reckon I might struggle with Kilos, Litres, Bars etc, I still have an understanding of how pounds, shillings and pence work, I still weigh myself in pounds and ounces and know for a fact that the wingspan of Albert is 132 Feet and 7 inches, and that its propellor diameter is 13 feet 6 inches. Should I ever have a need to know what our continental friends believe the dimensions are, I have the interweb to help. Philistine, Dinosaur, not sure which fits me best, but like many, I enjoy a pint of real ale, rather than a litre of lager.

Smudge