PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Russian Overflights by RAF Crews during the "Cold War"
Old 20th Jun 2015, 16:41
TheChitterneFlyer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
This thread has been a most interesting read and, until I made a little more research on the web, I subsequently learn that one of the Op Ju Jitsu crew was Flight Engineer who I met some years ago; Joe Acklam. Back in the seventies Joe was a Squadron Leader with the Air Transport Command Checking Unit and, after a very short debrief upon my performance (he jumped my route in Gander to conduct a "surprise Route Check" whilst en-route to, I think, Barksdale), we took to the bar for a couple of cold beers. I recall at that time that he was getting on his years and he did mention that he flew the B-29... followed by flying a certain turbojet that he shouldn't be talking about! That "certain turbojet" I now realise must have been the RB-45C. I had just embarked upon my Flight Engineer career on the C-130K and I was keen to ask him about his exploits with the B-29. Joe was an absolute gentleman and extremely knowledgeable with all things aviation, though, no matter how many beers we might have had he wouldn't speak about that "certain turbojet". Our paths never did cross again but, in conversation with other colleagues, there was indeed a hint of something that happened within his career that couldn't be openly discussed. It's only today that I now know what took place.

Ciao

TCF