PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - I DON'T want to be an airline pilot!
View Single Post
Old 20th Jun 2015, 10:45
Genghis the Engineer

Received 48 Likes on 24 Posts
I'm British, have worked in aviation all my adult life, never been an airline pilot, never wanted to be an airline pilot.

My solution, which works for me and some others I could name, but certainly doesn't suit everybody, is to combine professional flying with other roles.

So, I have my CPL. I also have two aeronautical engineering degrees and have managed to build up a lot of experience. My work has spanned flight test engineering, airworthiness engineering, research management, and classroom teaching for universities - as well as flying instruction, a bit of ferry flying, quite a lot of test flying, writing the occasional aviation book.

You can do it, but acknowledge that you won't be following the mainstream, and will need to find your own path

Luke's point about rotary is very valid, but also look at the wealth of military flying roles. Yes, incredibly competitive to get into, and you've got to believe, and show that you believe, in what you're doing - but I can't offhand think of any military flying job that doesn't appeal to me more than becoming an airline pilot.

Last edited by Genghis the Engineer; 20th Jun 2015 at 10:56.