PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Airservices Australia...Flex routes and Sydney curfew
Old 20th Jun 2015, 09:23
Snakecharma

Received 13 Likes on 3 Posts
Sunny, talking from experience I can tell you the "agreed to by industry" is a smoke screen used by Airservices to push blame on less than stellar thinking to someone else.

Meetings where these sorts of things are discussed are very general in nature and often not that productive.

I was party to one meeting where Airservices wanted us to hit a feeder fix time in the right hour, we asked the question whether that should be minute, but no it was hour...

In terms of hitting feeder fix times, I don't do ultra long haul, but we don't get feeder fix times until within a couple of hundred miles. The new Sydney thing whose acronym I have consigned to the dustbin of my mind accepted.

Where we have been advised of a feeder fix time before departure and the flight time is sufficiently shortened by a decent tailwind, we try to hold on the gate, after profuse apologies to the punters who don't understand, but often the gates are needed for other flights, particularly the wide body gates, so in that case we push and go and taxi somewhere out of the way until we can depart and hit the feeder fix time.

I have, on occasions, held on the gate, done the whole trip at min speed and still had to descend and slow down further with vectors to absorb further delays.

You wonder if it would be better to take the punt, depart on time, cruise over at normal speed and take your chances with a delay - more often than not you would whistle on through.

Other little annoyances conspire to reduce pilot enthusiasm - I was watching and listening to Emirates and Qantas 380's inbound to Sydney last week. The QF one was in front (by a reasonable amount if TCAS was to be believed) and the sequence put them behind the EK machine. The EK machine got sped up, track shortened and speed cancelled while the QF machine got slowed down, vectored and generally shafted. If the radio chatter was to be believed the QF machine had been in front all the way from Dubai. Blind freddy could have seen that the sequence didn't make sense. Do you think it likely that the guys in the QF machine are going to bus their balls to make it all work when they get stuffed around at the end? Unlikely I would have thought.

At the same time, I got slowed down, vectored around and pushed over to 34R with nothing on 34L and landed at 0605 - and we were told by the tower controller we were the first to land on 34R. Fair enough pushing a domestic wide body over to 34R if traffic requires it, but we could have been on the gate (or close to) if we had landed at 0600 - regardless of whether we landed on L or R.