PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - ATPL and airline recruitment
View Single Post
Old 19th Jun 2015, 01:10
wishiwasupthere

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
ATPL and airline recruitment

One of the big changes under Part 61 is the changes to what is required to be issued with an ATPL. It's been spoken about ad nauseum here about the practicality's of getting an ATPL at the moment when the required training isn't even in place in Australia and the exorbitant costs that would be placed on individuals to conduct the required training.

As a pilot in GA with a CPL and passes in all ATPL subjects and aspirations to move to an airline eventually, but without a spare $10000-$15000 lying around, I find it frustrating to see jobs advertised for which I've no doubt got the knowledge and experience to do, but am unable to obtain the licence required under the new system.

I believe that whilst the old system where it was possible to get an ATPL with all your hours in a 172 wasn't ideal, the new system has gone too far the other way.

A quick look around finds some variation between the airlines as to what qualifications they require for an FO. Some (i.e Cobham, RFDS, even Careflight today for a Learjet FO) require an ATPL, not just the subjects. I honestly don't believe CASA will change the requirements for the issue of an ATPL as that would require them to admit they made a mistake, but what are people's thoughts for future airline recruiting with regards to holding an ATPL? Will those airlines that do require an ATPL continue to do so until the pool of pilots not in airlines that hold an ATPL dry up?