PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - PPL airfield choice question
View Single Post
Old 19th Jun 2015, 00:35
hazell270

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
PPL airfield choice question

My personal opinion is although East Mids is good for RT practice and flying in class D airspace, it's a little restrictive too. Orbiting and holding for the jets can eat up your lessons which aren't cheap. Taking up valuable learning time.

You can get uninterrupted circuits done at smaller fields which is better when your hitting the circuit working on landings, take offs etc.

Landing on nearly 3000m of Tarmac is no challenge compared to landing on smaller, narrower strips. Part of the fun of PPL flying is the ability to visit little airfields, some of which have very short runways. Learning from early on the skill of landing at the right speed in the right place to stop in a short distance is a good skill to master. Airfields will smaller strips drill this into you from the start because if they don't, you'll be cutting the hedges at the stopend of the runway!

Nottingham is Air to Ground too, which I think helps with building decision making skills as PIC. You are in control, you decide if you enter the runway and take off etc. East Mids, you'll just get told what to do and where to go. Just helps you gain confidence in making decisions.

It won't make a difference where you did your PPL when it comes to getting a job. Just because you've learnt at EMA won't give you any advantage over someone who learnt at Notts.

I also agree, quality of the school and instructor should be the deciding factor. Get a good instructor and it won't matter where you fly out of.

Just my own thoughts, and by no means gospel. Whichever one you chose have fun and all the best with the flying.