PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - EK Pay Review
Thread: EK Pay Review
View Single Post
Old 18th Jun 2015, 12:49
120feet

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Just Slow Down

I agree that showing up to work an hour before the flight is justifiable, since that is when you legally start work according to EK, but that would land you in the Chief’s office toot sweet. And EK pilots are about as unified as a herd of cats. Sick calls were professed in an earlier post as “The only tool” you have to express discourse. I would agree that given your horrific schedules NO pilot should report to work if they think that they will be fatigued on a given flight. You owe it to your family and passengers and fellow pilots to not operate if there is a chance you can’t perform to acceptable standards. Also, a SKF deserves an ASR. Without an ASR, SKF’s mean absolutely nothing.
Secondly, I have watched EK pilots push and taxi. You guys do your flight control checks like you’re playing wack-a-mole. It’s an airplane. Take a deep breath after the push and sloooowly move the control surfaces. When you’re done, take another deeeeep breath and perform the check list. When you're done with the check list make sure your FO is ready and your seats are properly adjusted and you have reviewed the taxi route. Then call for taxi. Also note, this is not a race. The 30 knot taxi speed is a limitation, not a goal. Given the fatiguing rosters, 10 knots is much safer.
Third, you guys are constantly flying through the bumps at flight planned speed. Slow down for goodness sake. Why fill out an ASR for an overspeed. Also, it’s much more comfortable for your passengers. I can think of very few flights where there isn’t some segment where you should sloooow down for safety and comfort. EK pilots are also famous for accepting short cuts. Why? Especially if you are in a DARD you are just increasing your workload on an already exhausting schedule. Plus, EK has spent millions of dollars of flight planning software. Do not assume you know better by flying other than the planned route.
Completely unrelated:
This is just a question; If, (I am speaking hypothetically.) block times went up 3-5% anyone in overtime would get more overtime $. Cabin crew would get more flight pay and or the number of flights on your monthly roster would decrease. Also, there are several flights, and turns that are planned near max duty, and frequently assigned back to back. Given the immense workload Flights such as these should rarely be at or under block same with flights arriving at 2325. All this IMHO
Please take care of yourselves.