PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - The most fun way to learn, and the most fun trips with a PPL
Old 18th Jun 2015, 00:09
Helipom

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The most fun way to learn, and the most fun trips with a PPL

Hi there, first post, so I hope I don't get flamed!
Learning to fly a helicopter is on my 'to do' list, and I think it's about time I got on to it. So I know there are heaps of threads about how to get your licence, but as with most things in life, I'm looking to do it a bit differently.

To get a PPL, can I 'gather' hours from anywhere?
For instance, if I were to travel around Australia, and get some hours all over the country, can I put them all together at the 50 hour mark and do the practical test?

One step further: Can I gather hours from Nz and put them towards an Aussie PPL licence?

Another step: Can I get hours from South Africa, UK, USA and put them towards an Aussie PPL licence?

Once you've got your PPL licence, I really like the idea of combining my love of travel/exploring with helicopter travel. How do I find out where I can land - for instance, if I wanted to travel round the Whitsundays by helicopter and 'island hop' other than having a yacht with it's own helipad on it, how do I know if I can land?