PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - IATA Wants to Shrink Carry-On Bag Size
View Single Post
Old 17th Jun 2015, 21:00
Hartington

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
I'm with HotelTango. I used to carry a laptop on business. The idea of having to find a replacement for one that's gone astray doesn't bear thinking about. Yes, OK, it wasn't my money but in those days the cloud didn't exist and there used to be a lot of work on the disc. I suspect there still is on many work laptops.

Now I carry a DSLR with three lenses, a laptop and a (small) portable hard disc. With all the cables etc and a lightweight pullover, a change of underwear and socks, confirmations to show immigration and a book that all fits neatly in a backpack that (just) fits most sizers. Long haul I tend to travel PE and that gets a bit of leeway. Last year I was on an RJ and they asked me to gate check. The camera kit is in a removable pod and the laptop in a neoprene sleeve so I let them take the rest and put the camera under the seat in front with the laptop between my seat and the sidewall.

I've looked at shipping in advance. Put the stuff in something like a Peli case and consign it to FedEx. It's doable, if a bit pricey. I've never really investigated but where do I send it to? My first hotel? Do they have secure storage until I turn up? Do FedEx do the equivalent of "Poste Restante"?